Summer Dreaming: Kip & Co
Some labels instantly remind you of summer - long days spent on the beach, balmy nights, barbecues, early sunrises, deep orange and pink sunsets, the warmth of the sun hugging you, the freshness of a cold beer and adventures with friends.
Kip & Co is one of these labels.
With a range of vibrant, fresh and colourful bedding, designers Hayley, Kate and Alex yet again have us counting down the days (74, for the record) until Australian summer is here. Here, with their new summer collection in mind, we talk about our favourite time of year with Kip & Co girls Hayley, Kate and Alex, who are fast becoming synonymous with injecting colour, style and sweet dreams into bedrooms across Australia and beyond.
- In a few words, describe what summer means to you…
- Sandy feet, sandy sheets, salty skin, bike rides, icy poles, watermelon, beers in the backyard and cut grass.
- And how does that tie in with the process of designing the summer collection?
- You have to be thinking about the season when you design. I have full personality shifts between summer and winter - you want to see, go to and taste different things. So we try and capture that summer vibe in the bedroom. The range feels very Aussie to me – it has that whole summer feel. All our colours are ones that we imagine being on our bed in the late afternoon summer sun…warm and fresh.
- What are you dreaming of when designing for summer?
- Given we are normally designing summer in the depths of winter, we are just hanging out for that little ray of sunshine. That’s all it takes for us Melburnians to get excited - just the mere hint of summer and we are all stripping off and heading down to the beach.
- What are your favourite things to do and the best ways to unwind during summer?
- Kate and Hayley spend a lot of time at Barwon Heads and I normally head home to Merricks North on the Mornington Peninsula for as much of the summer as I can get. It is good to get out of the big smoke and unwind with our families, but we also love how Melbourne comes alive in summer, there is so much on - art, markets, festivals, pop ups of every kind, sport, music. We all like to pack a lot into a day so there is a balance to be found between the doing and the unwinding… I need to get better at the unwinding!
- Where’s your favourite out-of-town/seaside escape?
- I think maybe we would all collectively agree on Somers, but we also have a soft spot for Merricks North, Point Lonsdale and Barwon heads.
- Top three summer essentials?
- I can’t be without my iPhone for more than a minute so that is always essential. Second would be music (also conveniently located in my iPhone!). I love St Lucia and Client Liaison at the moment. And third summer essential…I think food trucks. They remind me so much of summer. They seem to multiply every day in Melbourne and particularly in summer - I love them!
- The best thing about Melbourne summer is…
- The light.